Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Behold, the only mountain in Florida...




I'm not sure why thrill rides are turning into kill rides. But 44-year-old Jeffrey Reed died Tuesday after riding the Expedition Everest roller coaster at Disney's Animal Kingdom. The Orlando Sentinel reported he was unconscious and unresponsive when his ride vehicle pulled into the unload area around 11:25 a.m. Another park guest who is a registered nurse and a Disney employee performed CPR but the man was gone by the time paramedics got there. This is certainly not the first death on a Disney Ride. A few people died on Mission Space in EPCOT and I remember a kid died after falling under one of the Small World boats years ago. I rode Expedition Everest once. Technically I faced the Yeti, but didn't get a good look at him because my eyes were sealed tight like a bank vault. I'm not into huge drops on thrill rides. Big Thundermountain Railroad is probably my favorite coaster. I also like the Rock n Rollercoaster starring Aerosmith at MGM Studios, but rides like The Tower of Tower and Expedition Everest are a little too intense for me. I went on Everest once and I think it was enough for me. The drop scared the bejesus out of me. It goes 50 mph forward and then switches tracks to go 40 mph backwards. Then the Yeti comes out and you drop 80 feet straight down with your heart in the your neck and your stomach in the middle of your chest. My heart goes out to Reed's family. I wish Disney had more rides like The Haunted Mansion and the pirate ride. I also wish Disney would bring back '80s classics such as my beloved Horizons, which was replaced with that dreadful Mission Space.

No comments: