Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Mimi breaks another record and beats Elvis! (now this sounds like an old skool tabloid headline)...


Mariah Carey, the songbird with the five - eight octave vocal range has beat out The King for the most No. 1 singles on the Billboard singles chart, and is now second only to the Beatles.

Her 18th chart-topper "Touch My Body" pushed her into the top spot. However, the normally unhumble diva is doing something she's never done before--playing herself down!

"I really can never put myself in the category of people who have not only revolutionized music but also changed the world," Carey told The Associated Press on Tuesday via phone from London. "That's a completely different era and time ... I'm just feeling really happy and grateful."


Carey said being in such company was gratifying not only because of her personal success, but what it meant for women and minorities.

"For me, in my mind the accomplishment is just that much sweeter," she said. "In terms of my ethnicity, always feeling like an outsider, always feeling different ... for me it's about saying, 'Thank you Lord, for giving me the faith to believe in myself when other people had written me off.'"

"Touch My Body" is the first single off of Carey's upcoming album "EMC2," due out April 16. It is the follow-up to her Grammy-winning disc "The Emancipation of Mimi," released in 2005, that year's best-selling album with five million copies sold; it marked a huge comeback for the multiplatinum superstar after personal and professional setbacks.
"I want to encourage anyone else out there who feels like maybe they can't overcome an obstacle, I feel like I'm living proof ... never lose your faith," she added. "I'm seriously a grateful individual right now."

Now, let's review all the awesome hits that helped her climb the record-breaking ladder over Elvis:


1990
"Vision of Love
"Love Takes Time"

1991 "Someday"
"I Don't Wanna Cry"
"There's Got To Be A Way"
"Emotions"

1992 "Can't Let Go"
"Make It Happen"
"I'll Be There"

1993 "Dreamlover"

1994 "Hero"
"Without You"/"Never Forget You"
"Anytime You Need a Friend"
"Endless Love"
"All I Want For Christmas Is You"

1995 "Fantasy"

1996 "One Sweet Day"
"Open Arms"
"Always Be My Baby"
"Forever"

1997 "Honey"
"Butterfly"

1998 "Breakdown"
"My All"/"Breakdown"

1999 "When You Believe"
"I Still Believe"
"Heartbreaker"

2000 "Thank God I Found You"
"Crybaby"/"Mariah's Theme
"Against All Odds"

2001 "Loverboy"

2002 "Never Too Far"/"Don't Stop"

2003 "Through the Rain"
"Boy (I Need You)"
"Bringin' On the Heartbreak"

2005 "It's Like That"
"We Belong Together"
"Shake It Off"/"Get Your Number"

2006 "Don't Forget About Us"
"Say Somethin'"/Fly Like a Bird"

2008 "Touch My Body"

___

No comments: